Transfer your personal data and purchased content to your new device from a backup that you made with iTunes or in Finder.
How to transfer your iTunes backup to your new device
- Turn on your new device. A «Hello» screen should appear. If you already set up your new device, you need to erase it before you can use these steps.*
- Follow the steps until you see the Apps & Data screen, then tap Restore from Mac or PC.
- Connect your new device to the computer that you used to back up your previous device.
- Open iTunes or Finder on your computer and select your device. You might be asked to trust your device.
- Select Restore Backup. Then choose a backup. Make sure it’s the correct one by looking at the date and size of each. If asked to update to a newer version of iOS or iPadOS, learn what to do.
- If you need to restore from an encrypted backup, enter your password when asked.
- Wait for the restore process to finish, then complete the rest of the setup steps on your iOS or iPadOS device. If possible, keep your device connected to Wi-Fi and plugged into power after setup. This allows content like your photos, music, and apps stored in iCloud to automatically download back to your device.
* To erase your device, tap Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. This erases all data on your device. After you erase it, your device restarts and the «Hello» screen appears.
Know you’re covered. With AppleCare+, get accidental damage coverage and priority access to Apple experts.
Buy or learn more >